Friday, September 25, 2015

Plum-Crazy

Bowl by: Dirtkicker Pottery
Near my house, there's a perfectly obscured beach path known only to the adjacent inhabitants that comes to full life at the end of every summer with the most gorgeous Damson plums dripping from arched tunnels of rustling green.  Not typically one to get hands-y with things that aren't overtly mine, it took only one season of tripping, and slipping over spoiled, plums squished into the path before a silent oath was made to stop, at all costs, this gruesome plum-icide, and egregious waste in seasons to come.

This year with my trusty bucket in hand, and most demure and subtle, magenta hooded sweatshirt I was ready to enact my rescue-efforts-(quickly)-turned-full-fledged-plum-heist.  Three gallons later ... I, uhm, needed a plan, or better yet, a recipe, and one that didn't include refined white sugar and a multitude of other ingredients that aren't healthy for me to consume.  So I invented not one, but two plum spread recipes!


Pucker-Up Plum Butter
Here's what you need:
  • 1 Heavy bottom saucepan, or pot (I used my ever-faithful dutch oven)
  • 4 Lbs. Plums
  • 1/2 Lime (juiced)
  • 1/2 Cup Pure Organic Maple Syrup 
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 1/2" Knob Fresh Grated Ginger
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
Here's what you do:
Wash, halve, and pit all of your plums, combine all ingredients in your preferred pot, and simmer for about an hour stirring occasionally, purée in blender (optional), chill or freeze.  That's it!

Makes about 30 ounces (4 cups, 1 Litre).

Playing up the tartness of the plums with added lime juice, this spread isn't subtle, or one most people would enjoy on their breakfast croissant.  It is, however, awesome on sandwiches!

Try:
On one slice of toasted sour dough bread spread a thin layer of mayo, on the other slather generously with plum butter, stack rotisserie seasoned deli sliced chicken, and avocado, slice diagonally (because everything tastes better this way) and dig in!

Smooth Shiraz-Plum Preserves
Here's what you need:
  • 1 Heavy bottom saucepan, or pot (I used my ever-faithful dutch oven)
  • 3 Lbs. Plums
  • 1/2 Cup Pure Organic Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 1/4 Cup Shiraz
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
  • 1" Knob Fresh Grated Ginger 
Here's what you do:
Same as above.  Wash, halve, and pit your plums, combine all ingredients, and simmer for an hour stirring occasionally, purée in blender (optional), chill or freeze.

Makes about 24 ounces.

Mugs by: Brookish
Thanks to the wine, this one has a beautifully deep-red color, nice, not-too-sweet flavor, and a rich body that makes it perfect for slathering on anything edible, basically.  So far I'm loving it especially on toast during blustery, cloud covered, light-flickering, autumn mornings! 

I can't think of a better way to say goodbye to summer than by savoring some of the season's fleeting flavors.  Whoever said change, or transitions have to be miserable was living life all wrong.  Everything in life has its turn -- I'd rather dance through life's cycles, than spend my time kicking and screaming.
New Moon in Virgo Mandala from the High Vibe Guide
I welcome all of this month's revisions, and am thankful for the opportunity to release everything that is, or has been weighing me down, and holding me back.  I know that whatever the Universe has in store for me next will surpass even what my wildest imagination could ever cook up, and I am prepared for my next transformation.

xoxo